Friday, December 5, 2008

Michael on the way things work out

I recently took the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT). Early on, I had scored well on practice tests and it led me to a degree of complacency about preparation for the test. I took it in October and felt fairly good about the experience and the likelihood of my having a satisfactory score. I got my test scores back a few weeks later and they were significantly lower than what I had anticipated.

I can't say that I wasn't disappointed or that I didn't freak out. I spent the entire weekend pitying myself and questioning my future. After a few days of moping and blaming anything and everyone but myself, I owned up to my disappointment. I still had a score that would get me in to several places I had been looking at prior to the test, and I decided to look at others that were still possibilities.

Interestingly enough, I found law schools that were far more appealing to me than the schools I was looking at before. Although I got a lower score and may end up attending a law school with a slightly lower ranking than where I thought I might've gone, I was able to locate several programs that are perfectly suited to the type of career I hope to have. This experience was an excellent example of the ways in which failure, or the perception of failure, can sometimes lead to a larger success.

No comments: