Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hannah on the not-so-glamorous types of service


The annual Bonner winter retreat is a day of service where all Wofford Bonners spread out among different service sites. This year, we traveled to Charlotte, where I volunteered with many others at Joshua’s Farm. Joshua’s Farm is a therapeutic horse riding center. Patients visit for all types of needs. Horse riding stimulates tension spots all over the body and relaxes them. I had a hard time at first seeing how horse riding could relax anyone… I would imagine if one has never ridden a horse it would be a rather frightening experience. One of the instructors explained how patients enjoy riding the horses and use it as a place to escape and relieve stress. The coolest part (in my opinion) of the farm was where patients could come pet other farm animals. I love animals, so this is where I spent most of my time. To help out, a group of us scooped poop all day. As gross as it sounds, I loved every minute of it. The animals were, for the most part, so friendly and adorable. I could sit all day with the mule, or one of the goats, of both of the pigs. After we left the site and went to reflect, I realized my small deed of scooping poop went a long way. The instructors at Joshua’s farm do, and need to, spend all of their time helping the patients. If more people volunteered to do the dirty work, the farm could serve more of those in need and be cleaner at the same time. Turns out, scooping poop goes a long way!

No comments: