Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Jose on new ideas

My volunteer site was at the assistance league thrift shop of Charlotte. The Assistance League of Charlotte is a nonprofit volunteer organization dedicated to improving the lives of children and families through community-based philanthropic programs. . Even though our task was simple, being able to take part in the service the thrift shop provides for the community was certainly rewarding. The impact the thrift store has on community is phenomenal.

The volunteer staff of the thrift shop gave of us the simple tasks of helping sort out their accepted donations. The volunteer staff helps organize and pay special attention to the assorted donations that come into the shop, and make sure that the merchandise is of the best quality for the customers. They maintain a descent amount of stock of goods in the back of the store. It’s without a doubt that the store runs so well thanks to all its volunteers, including those who take part even in the simplest of tasks. Such as organizing decorative items by the holiday or occasion they belong to on their shelves, which was my job at one point.

Throughout the day I had the privilege of meeting some really awesome people. One of the volunteers was a student from a local high school that often comes in during his weekends, and volunteers at the thrift store for a couple hours. He mainly helps out in the back of the store folding clothes and organizing donated items like we did. When we asked him why he volunteers he was simply honest and explained to us that it was a part of the volunteer work he’s required to do for a school organization that he is a member of. He says the thrift shop does so much for those in need.

You could definitely see that as I first entered the store. You notice the people who didn’t have much were able to buy various amounts of items. As I came out to put out an item in the store front you could see the kids picking of their favorite jackets that will hopefully keep them warm during the cold month of January. What really touched me was when I was able to understand the Hispanic couple that the wife was telling her husband that they did not have much to spend. However, by the time they walked out they were surprised they had enough money to buy clothes for their whole family. It was moments like these that made me stop and appreciate the things we are blessed with.

After we left the store, I still couldn’t forget the Hispanic couple and I thought of an idea that has not been done in awhile at the Hispanic Catholic service that I attend. That is, people bringing clothes that they don’t use anymore for the people in our mass that really need it. I thought of all the clothes I don’t wear anymore that I have still lying in my closet, and made it a plan that I will be bringing them to church soon.

No comments: